View Single Post
Old 09-26-18, 05:02 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
That's a loaded post.

a.) on a velodrome you're going to have a tough time getting a good 20' test in. Your power spikes and dives as you enter / exit turns, so even pacing by power will be very difficult.
b.) again, your cadence isn't going to stick at 95rpm. It's going to go up and down as you go through the turns.
c.) do whatever warmup you will be able to repeat in all future tests. 2x8 or 20' with whatever protocol, they're just ballparks. If you're a sprinty type with a lot of anaerobic it's probably best to get that out of your system before the actual test.
d.) You don't need nutrition for a sub 1hr effort if you've got a good diet otherwise. But if you feel better with it, go for it.
e.) wherever you can make it around the track
f.) Test for whatever position you're going to be racing in

Can it be done - absolutely.
Honestly though, if you've been riding with power for any amount of time, you should have a pretty good idea what your zones are based off previous rides and races. I used to do a lot of FTP tests... what I found that as opposed to those numbers being indicative of how I'd do at different distances/efforts, all it really showed was that I was very good at a 20' test. (comparatively)