View Single Post
Old 04-09-20, 08:34 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Shimano is still Shimano, and SRAM is SRAM, regardless of who manufactures the bicycle. Maintenance doesn’t change, at all. For example, I repair my Cannondale with the same tools and methods that I use on my Fuji.

Now to address the rest of your post, I don’t understand why you are so loyal to your LBS. Since when did it become the job of the consumer to keep businesses profitable? That entire premise is absurd. If you want my business, you must earn it. I’m not going to spend significantly more of my hard earned money to “help out” a business. Now don’t get me wrong, I have bought PLENTY of items from my local bike shops. Some were a little more expensive, but not egregiously so, and it feels good to support the local economy. However, if one chooses to purchase online, they have EVERY right to, and you have absolutely zero business trying to convince them otherwise.
Wow. Thanks very much for telling me what it's all about. Good to know.

You and I have very different views and beliefs about community businesses. I make it a point to support all kinds of businesses that are more expensive than amazon or Walmart. Tons of them. All for different, specific reasons. Some do a better job of "earning" my business than others, but I believe the market is best served by abundant competition, generally speaking. So, I go out of my way to patronize all sorts of companies and their products, some, probably more deserving than others.

I have washed dishes, flipped burgers, transplanted hearts, and steered a public US company from almost the tippy top position. Businesses on this planet generally succeed for one or both of two reasons in my experience: 1) They have an attractive value proposition; and 2) The take care of their customers. Canyon obviously has "1" going for it. It's the "2" part I worry about. Not for them. For their customers. But what do I know...
Likes For bpcyclist: