Old 05-07-20, 10:20 AM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So even though riding my bike is my favorite thing to do these days, the primary goal of riding is to lose weight (i.e. create calorie deficits). Although the majority of it is done in the kitchen, I'm always curious of my estimated calorie burn during my rides.
My question has to do with electronic calorie counting. Up until now, I kept track of calories burned using my Apple Watch. On my outdoor rides, it uses GPS speed data along with my heart rate to calculate my calorie burn. I didn't have a power meter to compare it against.
Do any of you that have Apple Watches and Power Meters know how well the Apple Watch does compared to a PM and HRM together?
From what I understand, a PM is supposed to be super accurate as measures the energy expenditure thru the work done.
If you have a PM, does the HR even matter?
Just curious.
Thanks!
PM vs HR calorie estimate aside, Apple Watch is complete garbage at tracking speed/distance/hr. On the same ride/hike we usually have 25% distance difference between 2-3 apple watches. Getting a proper cycling computer (garmin or similar) with right sensors will give you immediate accuracy boost. Also if you use Strava, it does a reasonable job at estimating your Power numbers.