Old 05-18-20, 07:55 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The bike biz was in horrible condition before this hit, so when demand explodes it's not surprising there are shortages.

Let's not get into politics here please.
I was clueless of these market forces when the pandemic hit. I just found myself suddenly with no work travel and no commute to office, working only from home I had more time to organize my riding schedule and figured it was a chance to spend more time on the bike. Honestly, I thought "it's a good time to support the local shop", I thought places would be closed and laying off their guys, etc etc . . . I didn't connect the dots on the demand side (more folks grabbing their bike just like I was) or on the supply side (with all the materials coming out of China and Taiwan). I had planned to buy bikes for my kids for the summer anyway, and in the course of evolving from browsing to shopping to buying I started to understand how acute these shortages really are.

So I identified a couple models that interested me, and not being the most patient guy to start with, I started getting a little more active in locating what I wanted. A couple discussions with the local shop enlightened me that a bunch of folks were ahead of me, the store was selling out their inventory and telling me they were unsure when they'd have new supply, etc. As I better understood how severely the supply lines were being impacted and how long it might take to catch up (late summer at best-case??) I decided to increase what I would spend to get the bikes while I still could. On a positive note, my kids now have cooler bikes than any of them deserve as they're not geeky about bikes like I am, and I've increased my road mileage substantially, launched into gravel riding after pondering it for months, and lost 27 pounds (and counting) since mid-March!
Likes For jimmyodonnell: