Old 05-19-20, 09:44 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by pedpower
Good late morning all (PCT),

As my title of this thread states, where/how do LBS come up with the price and value they put on their used bikes? How accurate is bikebluebook.com? It seems like almost everything I look at is over valued/over priced. How do I educate myself on the current estimated values on the bikes I'm interested in? I have no problem paying the current market value, but like anybody who wants to over pay for something that's over valued?

I know the market is set by the purchaser, but where does that value come from? Is there an industry standard? How do LBS come up with a trade in value? Do LBS's have a system that they use? Or do they just throw out a number and hope someone comes around and pays their price?

Any help "you" could provide me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Bikes are not cars and there is so little change from year to year that you charge whatever the market will bear. What do you think is better, a new Trek aluminum bike with lower end Shimano parts on it or a 5 year old Trek Madone with Ultegra group? Hell that Madone is all hell and gone better and it you think 60% of new value is too high go buy a motorcycle.
Likes For RiceAWay: