View Single Post
Old 05-26-20, 05:36 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Completing a CRASH INTERUPTED RIDE

Shaking off the trauma of a crash and getting "back in (on) the saddle" has always been a priority of mine to the extent of completing the "CRASH RIDE" after healing. In April 2011 I had my first MAJOR CRASH at mile 72 of 100 resulting in wearing a neck collar (luckily not a HALO) for 16 weeks - 24/7 before being allowed any form of exercise other than walking. After regaining strength I made it a point to go for a 100 miler with an effort to pass the crash site at mile 72 and then complete the 100. MAYBE STUPID BUT GRATIFYING.

April 27 last month (4 weeks ago yesterday) I was again out for a 100 mile Midnight Madness ride. At mile 33 of the first segment I was hit by a wild pig and crashed. This time my ortho cleared me to ride as soon as I felt comfortable so I managed a short ride 8 days after cracking my left scapula, cracking rib 5 and 6 left side and puncturing my lung. Completing a few more rides and building strength up I went out YESTERDAY riding the crash ride in reverse passing my ENCOUNTER SITE exactly at the distance it took me to ride home the morning of the crash. STUPID or OCD or whatever it was something I am simply wired to do. Not yet able to ride the 100 miles I had planned to ride last month I only rode enough to complete the total distance my crash ride was (37) plus the bit extra to the "turn around point" I was heading for when the crash happened. Don't expect to be at 90%+ until my 70th birthday in July so my goal is to ride the crash ride starting at the same time I did in April (11:40PM) and pass the site at mile 33 then continue my BIRTHDAY RIDE of 2 times age + 1 for good measure.

Any fellow cyclists this ANAL RETENTIVE with a "need to complete syndrome?"

BTW, the pot handles all point in the same direction in kitchen cabinets. or maybe is more appropriate
Likes For OldTryGuy: