View Single Post
Old 10-03-06, 05:37 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the Fall of 2002, my 2yo daughter started pre-school. I had been at home with her, I'm a stay-at-home dad, since she was born. I maybe got out to ride once or twice a week but long rides were never in the picture. Once pre-school had begun, I had several hours in the morning to ride 4 days a week. My long ride to date had been 63 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway as part of tour back in 1999.

That next Spring, I had set my sites on the Assault on Mt Mitchell, a 102 mile ride from Spartanburg, SC to the top of Mt Mitchell. Unfortunately in order to get a number for the ride one has to complete the Marion portion the year before to make the list. It seems that today it is easier to just buy someones entry without doing the Marion ride. I and a friend did the ride to Marion that May in the rain and wind, 74 miles and 4:06 time. What I remember about that ride is that even though there was 3800 ft of climbing in 74 miles it was easier than most of the much shorter rides I do around home.

So ten days later, that same friend and I left town and rode up to the Parkway and came back 8.5 hours and 108 miles later. We had climbed almost 11k with a riding time of 7.5 hours. I was so glad the last 25 miles were back down to town. I think on the last climb I managed 5 mph but somehow didn't stop until I made the top at mile 83.

The next May, I did the Assault and a couple of other century rides. I've continue to do them as time allows each year. Lately I've enjoyed reading the reports of PBP and perhaps one day soon I'll set my sites on qualifying for it if time permits.