Old 05-14-16, 12:06 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
What bike cases are people using for (domestic) airline travel?

I thought there's bag that was somewhat disguised so that the airlines don't charge extra, but can't find it - anyone have a link?

But really I'm looking for a hard case; I have nightmares of sitting on the plane and watching the handlers stomp on my bike & throw bags on it..

[asking here because I trust you more - and our bikes are so fancy]
I've used a soft sided padded case for a long time, semi-regularly from 1995 or so to 2011. At one point I'd be doing 3 trips a year with it (CT-CA, CT-NV, CT-FL). I've used the same bag, loaned it out maybe a dozen times or more, rented it out when I had a shop (maybe 10-15 times then). I've revamped it a couple times, put bigger wheels on and stuff, but overall it's the same bag. Believe it or not it's a Nashbar knock off of a BikePro. A euro pro (at the time) friend gave it to me when he had to clear out 5 or 6 bike bags that he'd accumulated over the course of a few years. He'd used the bag hard for a while, basically all the rips and stuff in it were there when I got the bag from him.

There's an article interviewing airline baggage handlers (can't find link but I read it maybe 1-3 weeks ago). The person said that the soft bags are better because they get loaded separately and on top. The hard cases are treated like any other bag. I have always been a bit paranoid about my bike but it's been fine. I pack two sets of wheels, one set on each side of the frame, my integrated seat post gets mostly protected by the wheels (on the black bike), and I usually have enough free weight to put a couple helmets, a floor pump, and some tools. I usually carry my shoes carry on (pedals stay with bike).

My bag weighs about 30 lbs empty (it has a steel frame at the bottom to hold the fork and so I can lash down the BB area). It's usually 45-50 lbs at check in.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson