View Single Post
Old 04-09-20, 07:42 PM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Hey, guys. So, I have noted with some personal alarm the increasing adoration bestowed upon Canyon by many prospective and actual buyers. I will admit that I have purchased one bike online (from Competitive Cyclist, maybe 10 years ago). It went fine, I like the company, but I did not like taking a bike nobody knew about for service. Just a personal dislike of mine. And the fact that I made it fit was really just kind of dumb luck, in my opinion.

Anyhoo, was just wondering, given this seemingly completely over-the-top and endless fandom for Canyon sweeping the globe like COVID, exactly how much harm are they doing to local bike shops around the world? And other, traditional mfrs? I am not a bike shop expert, just a guy who rides a lot and buys bikes regularly. And buys gear and service, most often, locally. And spends time in local shops. More than one. What exactly is going on here?
Shimano is still Shimano, and SRAM is SRAM, regardless of who manufactures the bicycle. Maintenance doesn’t change, at all. For example, I repair my Cannondale with the same tools and methods that I use on my Fuji.

Now to address the rest of your post, I don’t understand why you are so loyal to your LBS. Since when did it become the job of the consumer to keep businesses profitable? That entire premise is absurd. If you want my business, you must earn it. I’m not going to spend significantly more of my hard earned money to “help out” a business. Now don’t get me wrong, I have bought PLENTY of items from my local bike shops. Some were a little more expensive, but not egregiously so, and it feels good to support the local economy. However, if one chooses to purchase online, they have EVERY right to, and you have absolutely zero business trying to convince them otherwise.
Likes For Ross520: