View Single Post
Old 02-12-19, 12:39 PM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by masi61
Not sure if you are aware of this or not but the “octalink” axle spline pattern is not symmetrical all the way around. There is one spline that is thinner (or maybe thicker, I would have to go look). This is important because it references the drive and non-drive arms at 180 degrees from one another. The incorrect spline engagement looks a lot like the correct spline engagement which makes for a strong possibility that incorrect installation could go ubdetected. Tightening down a crank arm that is out of position is possible but because it is not fully seated on the splines tab, it can shift later while under load.

OK, this is another aspect that should be investigated. So, I cannot rotate spline to change position of slots between spline and crank arm? They are always in the same position? I already heard that it's quite easy to mount crank arms in incorrect position but that would lead in not parallel crank arms and would be visible at first glance. I believe I would notice it after 5 minutes of rides.

I’m curious to know if my advice is helpful or applies to your situation at all.
Thanks for the advices! I really appreciate. I will try to get the T-bar tool for tightening. However at the end I may use a torque wrench to make the last turn. I may also take a look for a crank bolt without auto extractor (you mean 1 piece bolt right?). I guess in steel would suits perfectly and safe.