View Single Post
Old 11-27-19, 07:33 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
First let me say I have a custom bike. The only bike I own other than my old vintage derosa that I’m rebuilding. Ultimately though, my custom Speedvagen is the bike I ride 4 days each week.

Custom bikes are mostly like electronic shifting. For the most part, unless strangely proportioned, people just don’t need them since the variety of stock bikes is so inclusive.

Then you have people who acknowledge they may not need certain things like electronic shifting or a custom bike but are shopping with a decent budget and realize they can get both for about the same price as a top end spec bike and simply want something different.

I knew I wanted a bike that was different both in appearance and ability to get. I’m 5’7 and wanted a more aggressive geometry that didn’t have as large of slope on the top tube as every other bike out there. I wanted a unique look and paint job. I wanted a bike that was as much beauty as it is functional and that would withstand the test of time and not be obsolete in 10 years.

in the end, I built up my completely custom Speedvagen with frame upgrades for about the same amount as a comparably built Pinarello F10 which are abundant in our area. Coming in at 16lbs 4oz including pedals, bottle cages, and tool kit it is practically the same weight as well (but those f10’s are real porkers lol!)

So for me, going custom was an easy decision!

Last edited by robbyville; 11-27-19 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For robbyville: