Old 08-16-20, 02:56 PM
Kapurnicus

Bikes: '87 Trek 400D Elance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pounding from the top breaks the wedge free. That was already loose. I finally got it. Turned it upside down after a good douse of penetrator and just went to all hell on the gooseneck with a rubber mallet. About 10 minutes in it budged a hair (had marked it with the air chisel). 20 more minutes and it was free.

I assume the rubber rings go right at the cones, looks like there's a lip there. They were so old they just crumbled apart and I found them on the floor.

I'll clean up the cones (they look good) and get new rings and circular ball bearing things for reassembly. Haven't googled those yet, but I assume I can just measure them and buy new ones.

I also need new little screws for the back wheel hub offset, they were bent and I had to break them to get them out. Haven't figured out how to find those online yet.

rear derailer fell off while hammer hitting. Found all the parts I think (the derraler itself is fine, the bolt came out and I was then in 2 pieces (one containing the 2 cogs and the other the big metal Shimano piece) and the bolt was on the ground. This has definitely been a mess. Had to drill out 2 of the screws holding my rack on because the heads broke off when removing.

bearing ring

screws I broke removing

It's out!

bearings disassembled

rubber things I assume go on the lips of the head tube cones

Last edited by Kapurnicus; 08-16-20 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added images