View Single Post
Old 05-01-17, 09:57 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm another Enlightened fan, I've used my quilt an easy 300 nights or so over the last few years.

In my mind, there are certain legitimate reasons to use a synthetic bag, but they are few and relatively specialized. The whole animal thing does squick me out a bit (As a vegetarian, I'm not so stoked on having to use an animal product.)

Also, for certain conditions, where you'll be damp for long periods of time, synthetic does make more sense, I've had backpacking where I've gone three or fours days without ever emerging from the fog. Continual exposure to atmospheric moisture does take it's toll on down. But it also takes it's toll on me.

Other than that, down is still lighter, packs more compactly and lasts longer than synthetics. A well made down bag (or quilt) will last a lifetime with minimal intervention, synthetic insulation breaks down much more quickly.

I also wouldn't worry about washing it on the road, I use my quilt hard, I don't use a liner, and regularly sleep in it without bathing, covered in dirt from fieldwork, I wash it once a year and it's fine. Unless I was on a really long tour, I'd just wash it when I got back home.

While I love my Revelation and live out of it several months of the year, I'll be honest and say the only time I don't have the foot box zipped is when I'm sleeping inside on someone's floor (or couch, if I'm lucky.) I've also only ever used it as an underquilt for my hammock once. If I had to buy again, I'd sacrifice the zipped footbox, save a few ounces and get an Enigma.