View Single Post
Old 07-10-19, 11:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,499 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have bitex on mine. They aren't loud. Yes, they are louder than the Campy hubs on my road bike and also louder than Shimano. Once you're off pavement, the sound of dirt, washboards, winds, my breathing, and birds all seem more present than my hubs.

I've snuck up on deer and even a lynx this year. Must not be too loud

I only coast downhill above 30. That's pretty loud and engaging. I never hear the hubs then anyway.

Fwiw though, both my bikes are steel with Al rims. They are dead silent except the hubs. It's been a long time but I seem to remember carbon frames were much louder, carbon rims even louder. If that's what you have, maybe turn up the music?
I should swap the Bitex wheelset onto my current gravel bike and see how it sounds on gravel with the increased outside noise(rolling over gravel, wind, washboard, etc). Its steel for my current and future gravel bike, with aluminum rims. So no potential carbon echo chamber.