View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 11:55 AM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I finally got a look today at a decent lineup of hubs and saw many priced over $700 I didn't know hubs could be that expensive

So I'm forgetting about building wheels for sale I'm nowhere near ready for that obviously. I really am just trying to get oriented to wheels. It's been hard for me is getting a systematic understanding of what goes in two wheels at various prices. MJust now I found a decent supplier of various wheel components least compared to what I've seen so far and I found hubs gone for over $700 I didn't know they were that it's could be that expensive.

Reason I'm looking at wheels today is a need is to replace the wheels I'm running, because the caliper brakes have worn the wheel surfaces to a concave shape. I don't want to wait for the rims to break before I replace them. As I started shopping for wheels it was easy to create a theory that thousand dollar profit per wheel set seem possible. I figured it was probably not as easy as I was thinking but I couldn't see the details that's the birth of this thread

The wheels I'm running are Bontrager race X light kind of generic wheels with a cheap it now seems free hub that came with the bike when it was new in 2009. This bike (2009 Madone 5.2, Ultegra) retailed for $4000 when it was new, which seems kind a high to me. I got it in 2018 on eBay for $700. It was an excellent condition , pre-owned by a 70-year-old woman who sold it through her bike shop. It was in perfect condition when he sent it to me.

I like doing all the work on my bike that I possibly can. When I replace it I probably will build up from a frame starting with one of those no label Chinese carbon jobs off of eBay. I think I'll spring for a new Ultegra DI2. I'll probably go with carbon wheels but I have no idea which ones

Started thinking about building wheels for sale was I saw wheels sets going for way over $1000 and I had no idea what went in to making them from component standpoint. Even though I don't have experience building wheels from what I understand it's not that hard to do so I was picturing profits of over $1000 on a wheel set. I suspected that was unrealistic but I didn't know the details. Does the birth of this thread now I've been shaking a little bit at reality though I still think I'd like to build my own wheel set in the future just because I think it's cool even if I can't save any money doing it.

I'd very much like to thank you for responding with such valuable information so probably it really makes adapting 1 million times easier so I can't think you enough, but thank you.

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-16-21 at 12:27 PM.