Old 09-30-13, 02:15 AM
Pattobin

Bikes: Trek 1.5C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Foot Doc
Pattobin, My $.02 worth. Years ago in the OB-GYN literature there was a study about what sports and activities the OB docs let their pregnant patients participate in. Almost universally, they restricted those women from sports they themselves did not do. If they didn't swim, they didn't allow swimming, the same for running, tennis. etc. For me, when I had a knee problem I went to an Orthopedist that I trust and happens to be a cyclist - he has ridden across the country. I thought he was going to do something and get me going again right away. So, when he took me off my bike for 2 months I had to accept that it came from someone who was familiar with the sport. He did get me better, had me change my seat height for 2 months to change the stress angles on my knee and I am back, once again on pace for my 1000 miles a year - now at 955. Look for a 2nd opinion from a Cardiologist that is active in sports, especially cycling. Andy
Thank You Andy !!

After the advice and inputs I received here (mainly), I visited my Cardiologist two days ago. The thinking that a Medical Person who is not into sports cannot advise accurately, is absolutely valid. Your observation refines this view.

I told the Doc about my keenness on Randonneuring. I asked specific questions like (a) What would be the bodily dangers related to my heart condition that I would expose myself to ? (b) What is the maximum heart rate I should ensure is not exceeded ? ...and so on.

I was appalled by this person's responses. The main ones that stuck with me are:-

(a) "Why would you or anyone want to cycle so much ?? Relax, enjoy life, meditate, reduce stress ...."
(b) And regarding to physical risks, believe it or not, this person said "TRAFFIC" !! Not a word about the 'graft' or 'influences of my medication'.

I will take it easy for a year till my medication is at its minimum and then go ahead with my long distance work.

I do appreciate all the help I received here.

Thank You All

Pat