Old 11-17-13, 09:47 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by jhazel
My experience, for what it's worth: After my heart attack (moderate damage) I decided that since I had to get back in shape I'd like to do a century. Doctor's response was "okay with three conditions." No racing - plan to finish in the back part of the riders. Not the Hotter n Hell. Not this year, the first year after my MI. We agreed on the San Diego Century a year and a half after my MI. I finished in 8 hours including rest stops. Eventually we refined the criteria to include no strenuous riding over 95 degrees and avoiding getting my heart rate over 85% of max. I always ride with a heart rate monitor. It took some negotiation but we are both satisfied.
I'm always curious about this, since my doc has admitted that the 'medical max' (the infamous 220-age formula) is not a good individual predictor. Does your doc mean 85% of your medical max, or of your actual max? And if it's the actual max, how does s/he know what it is?

Seems to be a catch-22 - you want to know actual max to avoid excessive stressing, but you can't measure it without excessive stressing.

Other than that, I appreciate what your doc has conceded for you. If I am ever in that situation, I hope mine is as accommodating.