View Single Post
Old 07-31-16, 06:31 PM
HamboneSlim
real far gone

Bikes: Motobécane Grand Record, Peugeot PR10, Gitane Gran Tourisme, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
When I took wood shop in junior high, back when there still were shop classes, The Oliver table saw was a piece of equipment I never liked. In college I got to use a SCM Sliding table machine, with the pre saw to reduce tearout and everything… So cool. My favorite machine, I felt in control. In the other classroom shop I at least got a decent fence, those Delta fences were terrible.

I know Oliver has a big following, maybe the stuff I used needed rebuilding?
This reminds me, I really want a Bridgeport vertical mill.
I worked in a shop many years ago that had a 14" Oliver saw with a sliding table. All original; rack and pinion fence, quadrant fence for the sliding table, miter gauge. One day I needed to cut some miters and set up the quadrant, it had pins that locked it in place at a 45. I asked an old timer who happened to be walking by, "Is this thing accurate?" "That thing's dead nuts," was the reply. I cut a test joint, and Jos. Starrett concurred with the old timer's assessment. I ended up using that saw all the time, while everyone else went to the Unisaws and Powermatics. Loved that saw. After an accountant embezzled the companies cash, they offered the saw to me. I turned it down, because it was so big and heavy, I had no idea where to keep the thing. A decision I regret to this day.

Everybody needs a Bridgeport! Don't know how I ever got by without one.

My $200 1954 J-head. To the right is an early-30s vintage Gorton pantograph mill; make a template, and it cuts a reduction from 1:1 to 1:12. Makes quick work of inlays.