View Single Post
Old 07-23-18, 10:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
IMO, it would go something like this, then. This is assuming you are actually car free, have a bike you wish to take.
I'm not car free.

Ask your work friend if he has a car he is willing to take.
He does have a car, but this year it's my turn to drive. He drove last year.

Next, look into train/bus to the location you want to go and consider a central camping spot that you can ride from and back to every day. I would probably consider ditching some of the equipment in that case.
There is no train / bus service to my destination. The town that is my jump off point nearest the area I plan to fish has a population of about 500 people. The closest bus station is 130 miles away up and over the mountains. I need all of the equipment I'm taking.

Theoretically you could look into a "service" like entity to take you there and pick you up. Enterprise and some taxi/limo services offer things like this, but am sure the cost over that distance would be pretty obscene.
Doesn't exist where I am going. If it did...yes the cost would be obscene.

Rent a u-haul one way, twice, or a car.
I need a high clearance 4 x 4 truck to get where I'm going. U-haul won't cut. A car won't cut it. And as I stated earlier...the rent a car options business hours aren't operational at the time I want to leave and the time I want to return the vehicle.

These above recommendations (once again) go on the assumption that you own a bike and have some experience at carrying goods with you. With a bit of slimming down and creative thinking about the "cooler" situation (or a trailer), the rest could be packed on racks and panniers.
I own 4 bikes. But all of my equipment I need for this trip wouldn't fit on racks and panniers. Plus a bike can't cover the distance in the 9 days I have to do this. I have 1 full of day of driving on each of end of this trip to get there and back. The in-between days are spent recreating.