View Single Post
Old 09-13-18, 07:46 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Shimano front shifting: *ssssnikt* - shift complete.

1x front shifting....... **
(Did you hear that?)

Anyways - as others have said, there is a place for both and each rider will prefer what they are most comfortable with. Same reason some brands of shoes fit one person great and another person with the same sized foor not so well.

I like the double, especially on the road and where I live. I go from great flats with a slight decline where I can crush the 50x12 and hills 5 miles down the road where 34 x 28 is hardly enough low end to keep me spinning at 70 rpm.

But I like the tight gearing on the road. Not so much on the gravel but where I ride its nice to have the 50 to get me back home quick on the tarmac.

Where I lived before, I never used my small gear. In a 20 mile ride the elevation was maybe 150' on the biggest hill in town.

My wife rides with me and never, ever comes off her 34. Im going to upgrade her to a 38 or 40 1x with an 11x32 or 34 on the rear. I think she will be happy with that.

The thing I really dont understand is a 46x36. That doesnt make sense at all. Maybe a 46x34 or 46x32 or 48x34 but 46x36 makes me scratch my head. I think its marketing to get you to buy another chainring.

-Sean
Not possible due to BCD limitations of 110mm BCD.

46/36 makes sense...if you ride cross. Remember, you're not pedalling all the time, and are frequently dismounting for steep hill climbs as it is faster than pedaling anyway in many cases.