Old 01-01-19, 08:15 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
These were addressed decades ago. Not resolved, but tech people and philosophers have been talking about things like the Trolley Problem for decades.

These are difficult, thorny issues; and legislation, legal cases, and public opinion will shape their exploration.

But soon (within 10 years) computer driven cars will be demonstrably safer than human driven cars, and there will be solid evidence of that. At this point ethical considerations will strongly favor self-driving cars.

How long do you believe the programmers will need to work these things out after they work their way through the system? Do you perhaps have experience with writing code or working with AI? I may be old enough to remember the future as projected by Disney back in the 60s with flying cars. By now we would all have access to flying cars? Not long ago I saw they were tempting me again with a flying drone that would take me to work. https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/06/...ne-for-people/

I have to wonder just how long it will be before society is willing to allow non monitored cars or drones? Years ago I bought a auto pilot for my boat. I could plot different waypoints into the system and once engaged it would take the boat from Newport Beach to Kings Harbor then over to Catalina and then down to Dana Point. 15 years later you still aren't allowed to send one out into the ocean without a person on board with those waypoints plotted.

I know this puts me at odds with Tesla and I like Tesla.