Old 01-12-19, 06:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I've posted my cargo trailer setup a couple of times.

It never really got 100% finished. The original design was to do a double layer deck that would be strong enough to load stuff above the wheels/fenders. But, I had a tough time with welding. I think I know what I was missing now, but need to practice a bit more.

I had also intended to connect the old coaster brakes to mechanical surge brakes controlled on the tongue, but really haven't found them to be that necessary as the heavier I get, the slower I go.

On occasion, I've simply put boxes or boards on the deck to get above the wheel height.

Anyway, if you are planning to occasionally carry something like a 4x8 piece of plywood flat, I'd build the trailer about 3 feet wide, and 5 or 6 feet long (which can get through most bollards), but add provisions to carry stuff overhanging a little bit with the load above the tires.

I did a straight pull-behind tongue specific to my cargo bike. I like the simplicity of that design, but might consider a regular side pull hitch. Still, I like the cargo bike for towing.

One of my next builds will be a heavy cargo trike, capable of very low gearing (and possibly pedal assist). Probably mainly for towing. 5th wheel?