View Single Post
Old 05-17-19, 04:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by kevincgove
I'll just add a few that have helped me....

Remind myself to save some in the tank ...ie don't sprint out of the gate and then blow up at mile XXX. I don't try anything new the night before or during the ride that I haven't already tested/vetted during my training.

Have fun and best of luck on your day.
My number one rule on a long ride, especially an organized one, is ride your own ride.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
A basic advice is I keep in mind during the century is Ride my own pace,” in particular not too fast at the beginning, and ride the entire route at a pace comfortable for me.

Even when I pick up with another rider, I make it clear that’s my rule if our paces are not compatible. Another strategy on charity rides done by myself, is to start early and perhaps be picked up by a group riding at a suitable pace and ask to draft with them.

That adds a kick to my pace, but quite often I fall slightly behind at turning a corner, and its amazing how a slight drop behind can be impossible to catch-up, attesting to the value of drafting.

Also, you might catch-up to a slightly slower rider and draft him/her, and they could reciprocate, synergizing both of you. But always,Ride your own pace.”