View Single Post
Old 05-18-19, 08:41 AM
Big in Japan

Bikes: 1 x carbon Domane (broken after a minor fall); 1 x custom steel (unbroken after being doored at 30 kmh)!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Light next to front wheel

Has anyone used a front light mounted next to the front wheel like those on the Compass / René Herse racks shown here?

[I've just discovered I can't post photos or URLs since I'm new here. Please see photos of Compass / Herse racks on the René Herse Cycles website and Jan Heine's Off the Beaten Path blog.]

I'm thinking of getting one of the Herse racks for center pull brakes and an Edelux II light, but am skeptical about having the light mounted there—especially if I run 700c tyres (38 or 44 mm: the ones in the photos I've attached are 650b x 42 mm, I think).

Doesn't the wheel (& mudguard if fitted) cast a shadow on the right hand side? Doesn't the wheel prevent motorists and pedestrians from seeing the light from some angles, particularly in urban situations? One correspondent on Jan Heine's blog complains about being distracted by his B&M IQ-X light shining on his front wheel and the shadow it casts on the road—but I believe this light has a wider beam than an Edelux II. Additionally, I'd be worried that if I collided with someone they might argue the light was obscured. Jan Heine argues that you're focused further down the road than the shadow, but I think I might be distracted by it anyway. And I'm in Australia where we drive/ride on the left hand side of the road: the shadow will be towards the centre of the road.

Heine also says that the position on the Compass / Herse racks protects the light, which may be so but many builders position the light further forward and/or higher. I've previously mounted a dynamo light (Philips Saferide 60) front & centre, either on the mudguard (fender) or at the fork crown. I want to use a rack so the fork crown is unavailable. And I want to take the mudguards off from time to time, so that option is also out. Besides, I've found that when it rains, no matter how long the mudguard, water is often blown back from the front tyre onto the light. Mounting the light to the side will alleviate that problem a little.

If I decide to use the Herse rack I could get the version with two screw-on mounts on the struts and use a Soma Wingmann, or something similar. But it's inelegant (ugly), and looks likely to fall downwards into or onto the wheel. [Google Soma Wingmann Light Mount]
I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone with any experience of any of this, particularly using an Edelux II.

BTW, I've just written to René Herse as well and am waiting on their answer.

Tx