Old 05-30-19, 10:06 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
No Knee Pain with my Vegan Diet

My knees are bad. A couple of scopes over the last 20 years and the normal arthritic afflictions. My dad has bad knees (expected at 85?) and the pain is only relieved when he's pedaling. Our bedroom is on the second floor and each morning, for years, I would cringe while trying to descend the stairs in some manner that would not hurt -- which was impossible.

Lately, it occurred to me that I no longer have ANY discomfort coming down the stairs each morning. Weird! The only change during the last few years is changing to almost zero animal products in my diet. (I am not peta -- We have dogs, leather clothes, etc.) My wife fixed several related health issues with her vegan diet over the last 9 years, and over those years, my meals more and more closely matched her's. It just became too much a PITA to cook for two different diets. 99% of my meals are now vegan and when I do get nostalgic about a steak or burger when we go out to dinner, and I go for it, the next morning I pay with a painful trip down the stairs in the morning.

I searched the forum for vegan in the title but there was only a mention of some vegan glucosamine product. So, I thought I would share my experience and maybe someone else might be able to benefit and start getting around with less discomfort. My cycling hasn't been adversely affected by this diet. I've been on STRAVA since my open heart surgeries 8 years ago and I continue to get solo PRs on occasion.

Jeff
Likes For Classtime: