View Single Post
Old 06-18-19, 11:27 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by AmericanKermit
Hi, my fiance and I are looking to start bike riding. Both of us biked around town some when we were in college (now 28-29). We haven't for several years for different reasons. We want to get back into it as a way of exercising....We would be riding mostly on city roads or gravel country roads. ...What are the best suggestions on what to buy, maybe things to make it easier, better suited? What things should we look for in a bike for someone on the heavier side? Truly, what advice/suggestions do you have in regards to literally anything for us. We intend to go to a local bike shop and talk to them, but I wanted some non-sales advice prior to going there. Thanks!

I'm thinking revisiting the college days is the best place to start. You're talking 10 years ago, though plenty of physical change have occurred, Maybe start by simply recreating the past? If riding was enjoyable then, seek the path of least resistance to making it happen today. Imagine why and how you both will ride. Riding to run easy errands, as weekend entertainment, to visit a neighbors/friend, or (my favorite) to get donuts. Cycling is an enjoyable challenge. From there, the equipment will follow.
Likes For jlmonte: