Old 05-07-08, 07:54 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the Mersey trains for my commute in to Liverpool, UK. These trains have a double bike rack with folding seats. There are very clear signs to show that this is a bike storage area and as a cyclist I see the uncomfortable folding seats as of secondary importance….

I try to be kind and courteous to other people but there is a limit, otherwise you will be left standing on the platform with your bike.

On the way home I’ve got it down to a fine art, I know exactly where to stand near the edge of the platform so that when the carriage doors open I can push my bike into the rack while pulling my rucksack from left shoulder ready to throw on a seat opposite.

Occasionally things don’t go to plan and one or both seats my be occupied… this is fair enough if it is a mother with a pram or some elderly person, but when some young able bodied person takes them while there are still normal seats available, well that just annoys me! Happened a few weeks ago, jumped on the train and there was this young woman sat on one of these folding seats even though there where still plenty of normal seats…. so I just folded the bike and put it in the space available next to her. After I sat down she said “for a moment there I thought you where going to ask me to move” to which I said “no, your fine where you are” …… what I didn’t tell her was the reason I didn’t scowl or complain was because she was so good looking.

I’m just waiting for the day when someone has a go over using the bike rack…..
Then I can tell them how I don’t need to use the train but I do so for the sake of the planet (and of course my wallet) rather than use my gas guzzling 16 mpg 4x4!