View Single Post
Old 11-21-04, 11:39 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TysonB
Yuck!!! Unca, hope you're fully recovered now. I always feel these bicycle helmets are flimsy and don't offer enough rear lower head coverage compared to the Bell full face I wear on by CB-1100-F Honda road bike. Sounds like yours did the job, though. The famous 1970's era University of Southern California "Hurt" study of motorcycle accidents showed that even a $5.00 helmet did wonders toward saving your life compared to none at all.

Tyson
I have found,to the detriment of my wallet, that Cycle helmets work on 3 occasions in the last 4 years. Latest one only a couple of weeks ago, and that received a big chunk out of it when I came off on a brick strewn path. the other two had received grazes in them that would have caused a little bit of pain if I had not been wearing them.

A friend of mine had a big off about 7 years ago and required stitches to his cheek, 64 of them to be precise. He had a straight over the top of the bars, up in the air and land on his face. When he got to the hospital, they stitched him up and sent him for X-rays. They had 4 attempts to find a fractured skull, as he did not arrive at the hospital with a helmet. They then gave him a 5 minute lecture on how much damage can be done by idiots like him who do not wear a helmet. Eventually he manage a get a word in and pointed out that the reason he did come into hospital with his helmet, was that it was littered all over the local hills where he had his accident. It may have shattered on impact, but it definitely saved more serious injuries.That helmet is still doing the rounds of local schools to show what damage can be done to a helmet. Just imagine what his skull would have been like if he hadn't been wearing it.