Old 02-16-18, 10:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate2453
Carleton, I will share my experience. In my first races on the track back in the early 90s I got to watch several riders flat clinchers and immediately roll the tires off causing major incidents. Seeing that will make you swear them off. A couple of years ago I built a set of clincher training wheels and had some unsettling experiences with them. When I would turn hard on the track it would feel like the tire was rolling off the rim. I switched back to tubulars and haven't looked back.

The above said I am larger than the normal track racer, and I tend to be hard on equipment. I have seen plenty of people ride/race on clinchers with no issues, but my initial experiences of having to dodge riders who crashed due to tires rolling off of clincher rims I won't ride them on the track.

Nate
Could it be that tire and/or rim manufacturing techniques and tolerances are better? I recall being able to mount a new Conti tire with only hands in the 90s and early 2000s. But in the past 10 years or more, I have to fight to get them on even using shop quality tire levers. Cursing. Once I got so pissed I took it to a local bike shop and had absolutely no shame at all paying another man to mount a tire for me.

Most recently, it took me over 30 minutes to mount the two Vittoria tires on my training wheels a couple of months ago. Hands were sore afterwards.