View Single Post
Old 06-10-18, 06:42 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
You'd just have to try some. I have some Baleaf or Baleef as you mentioned, riding shorts. The shorts seem to be well made, they look great, fit well and are comfortable...for about 30 miles. After that you begin to realize the importance of the quality of the chamois pad. The pad in these seem to just be spongy padding and hold sweat. After about 30 miles I start to feel a bit of discomfort and after 40 miles there is some real chafing happening. If you're able to go on to 50 plus miles plan on a serious saddle sore. But for short rides and just tooling around town or on the MUP then they are great for the money.

I have numerous cheap-o Asian brands such as arm warmers, sweat bands, and some jerseys I really like. I wear cheap jerseys and I've found some I like on Amazon. Just be careful with the sizing and plan on ordering about two sizes larger than you think you need.
I've done multiday 70+ gravel in the rain in those cheap foam/gel shorts and so far the 4-5 pair I have lasted years. I'm sure I could be less wet and steamy down there but a little 40% diaper rash cream works wonders . Maybe to personal but even off the bike on my couch doing nothing with good underwear I'm hot there anyway. Catch22 for me, are the shorts padding causing more problems with increased heating and moisture compared to any comfort advantage of having padding?

I know there is better chcling gear but never got around to spending to find out.

Last edited by u235; 06-10-18 at 07:04 PM.