View Single Post
Old 09-14-20, 08:05 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,782 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldsledz
My wife works at the Salvation Army Thrift store, when she came home from work Friday she told me they got a bike in, she couldn't remember much about it. She was pretty sure it was a ladies bike because she was pretty sure it didn't have a top bar. The only thing she knew for sure was it had a big seat and a bag hanging under the seat, they couldn't get the zipper open on the bag but it had something in it. She was not the one that priced it but thought it was 10 or 12 dollars because it was pretty rusty. So Saturday morning I was there when they opened to see what it was, turned out to be a Schwinn World Tourist, I thing it is a 1989 but not sure, the 4 digit date code ends in 9. The bike is in better condition than I expected , with just rust spots on the chrome and was vary dusty. It has a front free wheel I had never heard of a front free wheel, its kind of odd seeing the chain rings and chain going around even when costing. I found out some of the World Tourist were made by Giant but I don't know if this one was, the serial number starts with SA and the bike was made in China. By the looks of the tires the bike has had vary little use. All it needed was air in the tires, I don't even need to change the seat hight. The price was 11.00, I got the bag open and it had a rain jacket in it, I was hopping it would have some tools and an extra tube. Before going home I road 7 miles, then went home and spent some time cleaning it, it cleaned up good. Today I put another 13.3 miles on it.

Interesting find as rookie at this will give serious bonus status if you can manage to ride 100km on a FFS type 2 drive train. As for dating the bike is 81-82 made in Japan by Panasonic but could be US built would need to sea numbers to be sure.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-14-20 at 08:12 PM.
Likes For zukahn1: