Old 11-29-20, 07:13 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by panchothepug
Thank you NJKayaker, great suggestion. I used the 530 once a couple of days ago and could not find the following functions:

Back on Track (On-Demand Rerouting)
Take Me To (On-Demand Route Generation)
Retrace Route (Breadcrumb Trails)

I copied these function descriptions from Wahoo's website so I understand that Garmin may call them something else. I've been tinkering with it and watching tutorial videos, but have not been able to find these functions in the 530. If the consensus is that the Garmin 530 is better, then I'm willing to give it a shot and used on other rides before returning it.
DCRainmaker has fairly comprehensive reviews and descriptions of features.

The main difference though between the Edge 530 and Edge 830/1030 from a navigation standpoint is that the Edge 530 doesn’t support POI’s (points of interest; like monuments or hotels) nor the ability to on the device itself type in a street address. And obviously, the Edge 830/1030 is a touchscreen whereas the Edge 530 isn’t. But other than that – it’s all the same.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/...th-review.html

I'm more familiar with the 1030 but DCRainmaker says they have (mostly) the same features.

- Th 1030 (and the 530) have some form of getting back on course.

- You can have the devices create routes to arbitrary places (the 530 is a bit limited with how you can select them due to the button interface).

- You can retrace in reverse a recorded activity but it doesn't seem you can reverse the course on the device. It is very easy, if you just want to go to the start of a course IF you don't care about the exact route to that point (that is, you can get a route easily but it won't be the reverse of it).

The Garmins have on device routing. As far as I understand, routing for the Wahoo has to be (mostly) done using a smart phone.

I haven't used the Wahoo devices but people who have them like then (so, I really don't doubt they are fine). I doubt that the Garmins are any less capable.

Most people use the Garmins by planning the routes somewhere else. The automatic routing doesn't always go where you want it to or use roads that you like. It's still useful to have. It's much easier to generate routes for automobiles (drivers don't care if the route is a little longer and don't mind highways and generally want the fastest/shortest route between two points). Cyclists, on the other hand, aren't usually trying to get some where in the fastest/shortest say.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-29-20 at 07:21 AM.