Old 03-21-21, 07:31 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
What Bicycling Rules do you follow that Experience has taught you? Maybe I can learn.
I have three of my own.:
  • When running parallel to traffic, never rely on a Mirror to try to cross the road (or highway) with a quick darting swoop , even if you are sure your Mirror says you are safe. Come to dead stop, turn your bike 90 degrees and get eyes on the Traffic.
  • In case the unthinkable happens, I hang an ID card with Emergency Information right on my handlebar and another on my Jacket. I don't even carry a wallet. That way, should I do the opposite of winning the Lottery, no one has to rifle through your layers of clothes to find out your Medical Information.
  • Never go down a steep hill in a Bike Lane facing oncoming Traffic, should you get caught in that circumstance. The oncoming traffic may unnerve you as you start your high speed run (unless you are Tom Cruise) and if its a tiny skinny bike lane you may even lose control.
  • Bring sneakers with you if you are using cleated bike shoes. Because I've walked or run some 17 miles this year when I didn't have the right tool or part.
  • Avoid the door zone. I had a shoe torn open by the corner of a door that opened as I rode past. Could have been a lot worse.
  • Expect to be right-hooked.
  • For night riding, in addition to a quality headlight and tail-light, side lights help avoid cross-traffic not seeing me. (Planet Bike Bottle Blinky, or BrightSide Side Light; I have one of each.)
  • Keep a Blackburn 2'Fer in the saddle bag in case a headlight or tail light fails. (2'Fer has a white mode for front, and a red mode for rear, both steady or flashing).
  • Carry an energy bar and some gummy bears in the saddle bag.
  • A usable pump > CO2. Carry one spare tube, plus a patch kit. My worst ride ever I had five flats. Nobody carries five CO2 cartridges.
  • Bike commuting may drain fitness-ride ambition. On a given day pick one or the other.
  • Bike commuting may help you to ride on days where you wouldn't have time for a fitness ride.
  • A Tubus Fly and appropriately sized Ortlieb pannier is a fantastic bike-commute combination.
  • You need more than one bike if you're a commuter. One for pleasure and fitness, and one for commuting.
  • When planning routes, avoid roads where traffic is flying along at 50mph and there's no bike lane or shoulder. Yes, I can take the lane legally. But I can also get rear-ended by the car behind the car that dodged around me. (hasn't happened to me, but it's an accident wanting to happen sometimes).
  • Ride more.
Likes For daoswald: