View Single Post
Old 12-27-20, 04:54 AM
Dsheidlo

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck custom build; Cinelli Vigorelli single speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
^ Yes. History of self-reporting on BF over the years says that riders who maintain their normal off-the-bike diet eat back their on the bike expenditure. I think what needs to happen is that the rider needs to get used to having less food in their stomach. My observation is that if I'm never hungry, I'm not going to lose weight. If I eat smaller portions, when a larger portion comes along, I simply can't eat that much. Yay! And I have less desire to eat when I return from a ride. I tend to eat before I ride and then have an apple and plenty of water when I return. An apple is ~80 calories and fills me right up.

Of course it matters how long your daily rides are. If they're 100 miles, you'll eat a half a pan of lasagna when you get back.
When the weather permits, I eat a "normal" amount for long rides, far less on hard ride days and use intermittent fasting on recovery days (not eat till noon and stop around 7 pm). But I don't compete so I am not trying to achieve any performance goals. I've lost 15 pounds that way but gained back 5 this pandemic winter.