Old 08-14-19, 06:59 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Minimum axle exposure to contact dropout?

(Lifted from another thread of mine, which has wandering out into the woods; should not ask technical questions in post 27 of any optic, I presume)

So, what's the minimum # of mm of axle to stick out past the locknut to provide adequate load bearing surface to contact the dropout?

This is my first experience with more than 5 rear sprockets. When leaving the 6th cog for 5th, sometimes the chain jams on the seat stay immediately above the dropout. Hmm, I measured and the hub is clearly 126mm, There is enough free space between the dropouts to go a bit wider… add a washer under the RH locknut? (a) how much messing about with the axle before I have to relish the wheel? (b) there’s only about 4mm of open axle to rest on the dropout and the bike’s weight (and mine), what’s the minimum? If I steal a washer from the LH side, and add to RH side, and even out the open axle exposure, aren’t I affecting dish even more?