Old 09-11-19, 08:59 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
knows of what he speaks. If you're looking for one tire to rule them all, and you can fit it, the Resolute is it. If you can't fit it, you're not on a true gravel bike.
Funny.
Guess I'm not on a true gravel bike. Resolute is a great tire, but its rather specific in its target, not a one tire for everything.
Personally, I don't need that much tread (even when I'm mountain bike racing). Yesterday my ride included pavement commuting , fun single track, then a high speed gravel loop . I ride one bike to do it all - I'm not going to pigon hole myself into a specific niche.

Last night:
Road average 18mph, fair amout of 32mph sprints in traffic (2hr),
Single track was naturally about 10mph (1.5hr)
The gravel was even faster - average 18 with peaks at 36 (2hr).

That isn't a good day for the Resolute - I have better gravel tires for my riding. Resolute are a bit heavy for speed work, a bit draggy for the fast parts, and a bit small for the single track. There are a lot of "one tire to rule them all" but ultimately it depends one where you live and what riding you are doing. There is more variety of riding in this subforum than just about anything else. In your case If you are on a "true gravel bike" you need a gravel tire, not one tire that does it all. But the tire that works for you may not work for someone else here.

Last edited by chas58; 09-11-19 at 01:17 PM.