Old 06-26-20, 08:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Don't mess with the bike fit at all for now. No point, as all the contradictory suggestions in this thread reveal. You'll just be chasing your own tail, shifting pain from one part of the body to another.

Recently I switched from a 90mm to 110mm stem to restore some handling lost to the shorter stem. The short stem was comfortable but twitchy on fast curves on less than perfect pavement. The longer stem is more stable. But it came at the cost of increased neck pain (my C1-C2 are permanently damaged from multiple injuries). The problem isn't the stem. The problem is my failure to do my home PT for a few weeks.

Work on physical therapy exercises for 4-8 weeks. It'll take at least 4 weeks to see any improvements.

Re-evaluate bike fit *after* a course of consistent PT.

That's what I did last year, with a PT who was familiar with the challenges of bike riding. I visited the clinic 2-3 times a week for two months, mostly focusing on strengthening. And I did my own work at home, at a lighter level, mostly focusing on range of motion and flexibility. For the first month it felt like I was making zero progress. Around the 5th week it finally began to click.

It took some time to overcome the cumulative damage from multiple serious injuries. But it worked. And now that I've neglected my home PT for a month, I can feel the negative effects. So it's up to me to resume my home PT.
Likes For canklecat: