View Single Post
Old 04-02-21, 08:13 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrstott
I searched tools and didn’t yield many results. Hopefully this post is in the right place.

I’m just kind of getting into working on my road bikes and I’m curious if anyone has info or can provide a simple list of the basic tools one would need for preventative maintenance, tune ups, etc.

I have metric and standard hex sets, screw drivers, etc. but I’m asking more for those specialty type tools.

I have an old giant frame that I’m going to likely repaint and build. So I’ll essentially need what’s required for a frame-up build.

I own and ride sport bikes and do all the work myself. Just looking for some guidance on a good starting point.

Any recommendations or advice?
Semi-obviously a good work stand. My personal favorite portable/non shop stand is the Feedback Sports Elite, but it's pricy. Park PCS-10 is what I had for like a decade personally and it's fine.

If you're repainting you'll need to remove the bottom bracket and headset cups. If it's a threaded bb you should get whatever tool it needs, if it's pressfit you should weigh the cost of appropriate bearing pullers and press over bringing it into a shop, and same deal with the hs cups. You can diy solutions for both of these also—you can slot pipe to make removal tools for pf bbs and hs cups.

You will definitely need a chain tool. For home use the Park CT-5 works fine and is a good value. A quick link tool is also a good idea to have. If you have cup and cone bearing hubs cone wrenches are good to own-13 and 15mm will work 90% on most bikes. Chain whip and cassette lockring tool.

Don't worry too much about getting every possible tool you may need, it's generally better to get what you need as you need it.