Old 04-18-21, 07:18 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I am involved with teaching bike safety in our school district. In our program we teach the kids, 5th graders, to ride on the roads. Our graduation ride culminates with a ride around our small city, including busy traffic, turns at traffic signals and stop signs, and rules of the road; essentially everything you would teach a young motor vehicle driver. I was really sad to see Oregon adopt the "Idaho Stop" for cyclists: slow down at the stop sign, and if it is clear, ride through it. My point is that we advocate using the roads, but not as aggressively as the Cycling Savvey folks.

This was part of our route through Iowa while riding Highway 20 across the U.S. As folks said, situational awareness is important. Often trucks would come up behind us and we could see things getting tight. We just pulled off and made friends with a couple of truckers. We could also see approaching trucks getting set up to do a pass, and would also pull over onto the shoulder. The situation required a lot of vigilance, but we did not think it was unsafe or dangerous.
I am not a big fan of Cycling Savvy but I do think there are some things they teach that are helpful. One of them is to bike near the center of the lane on roads that look like your picture, if you must be on a road like that. The League makes a similar suggestion for roads without wide enough shoulders. BTW, it is great you are working at the school. I am not far north of you and am trying to put together a program in our small rural town. We are making some progress but the SRTS program and actual in school training looks like a way off. The Pandemic was not helpful as we had some momentum than the Zoom programs started. Keep up the good work in your town!