View Single Post
Old 11-05-13, 08:26 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Tell us about the bike that this is on! I have a sticker from the same shop on my 1940 Schwinn New World.
I used to work for this shop. The shop transfer started out just that before my time, varnish fix. Later waterslide and last an almost indestructible sticker. The graphics evolved too. The rider with bike was dropped in favor of Lightweight Bicycles Inc. The roster of locations went from Beverly Hills only, adding Los Angeles, then Westwood Village. Then the reductions, dropping Los Angeles, and ending with Westwood Village only. The Los Angeles location was on La Cienega near Pico. The neighborhood was deteriorating for a bike shop as the bike boom subsided. The one advantage for them at the time was that its location allowed brands to be carried that could not be carried in Beverly Hills due to territory conflicts with competing shops. It closed up in 1975.

The Beverly Hills location was the premier property, they held the master lease on the corner building and in 1976 the buyout price was too tempting to pass up, they bought then sold the building made a handsome profit and consolidated operations in Westwood.

And before my time there was even a "Serviced By" transfer, I don't think those lasted too long.

The Westwood shop on Gayley Avenue is now a Helen's Cyclery location.

Some of the other shop graphics have been noted in other posts as being very similar amongst the shops. One reason was bike shops rarely hired a graphic designer, the decalcomania vendor often did a number of shops so a shop would just select a "style" of art and they would personalize the information. Many shops used a rider in profile standing on the pedals, I remember at least 3 in Southern California.
Many shops ordered stickers from suppliers who advertised in trade magazines such as Bicycle Dealer Showcase.