View Single Post
Old 02-06-24, 11:54 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This whole post in one sentence: Some people think their preferences are automatically better than others, and can't stop saying so.

The inventiveness in explaining the defensiveness was fairly creative the first time through ... about a decade and a half ago.
Agree. And some of us know that doing something for fun or a change of pace, or nostalgia is not saying the technology is superior. We can actually enjoy inferior technology in many aspects of our lives.

I wonder if this would be a good thread drift. Inferior technology I actually like messing with. In all cases I prefer the newer/easier technology, but still like the old stuff:

1949 Ford Pickup with non-synchronized transmission (love getting the rhythm of double clutching) vs. my Subarus or modern pickup trucks
Turntable / LPs vs CD, streaming or MP3s
Friction shifters vs indexed vs integrated
Snow shovel vs. snow blower
Push lawnmower vs riding lawn mower (yes, our acre of grass could justify a tractor... actually, I wouldn't prefer a tractor, but for our size yard, it's definitely a better choice for most people.)

I wonder if even the guys who absolutely can't understand why anyone would mess with friction shifters have any inferior or outdated technology they actually enjoy. Hell, on bike forums I have often read about people who hand wash their shorts instead of throwing them in the wash! It works for them, and I get it, but I wouldn't consider it.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-06-24 at 11:58 PM.