Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just to be clear, I ride on a lot of paths, some very crowded. I ride pretty fast so I pass thousands of people a month. I could count on one hand the number of times people have been confused. It happens very rarely.
I firmly believe the unpredictable actions of pedestrians who hear "on your left" are overstated. Significantly. I'd go so far as to say some posters are making stuff up. I would encourage anyone who has had unpredictable reactions to that try what you and I do. A slight change in language has served us almost flawlessly and we ride in different parts of the country.

Scrub off speed
Announce in conversational tone "I am coming around your left"
Be prepared to react to an unlikely unpredictable action
Pass with minimal disparity
If the person or persons being passed aren't budded up, say something pleasant to them and smile
Accelerate once clear

I don't really feel a need to be a rolling ambassador for bicyclists, but I am aware of the fact that those pedestrians drive too. A pleasant interaction on the path sets the stage for pleasant interactions on the road. When I pass kids I almost always tell them that their bike or helmet is cool. That can do more to shape their impression of bicyclists than just about anything else.
Likes For Paul Barnard: