Old 06-08-19, 04:34 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jupamaso
Thanks, after much searching, I am actually looking into handbuilt with Hed Belgium, undecided on the hubs: DT 350, RS 770 (but they are silent). Anything else seem to be much more costly, but open to suggestions.
I think the rs770 is sjimano 105 grade non series hubs. they will do well. if you adjust the bearing preload (look this up on the net) in frame, properly lube the bearings (make sure you dont lose any loose balls), and pry the seal of the freehub, and drip motor oil in there (and keep doing this every year the freehub thing).

the dt 350ies needs to be lubed too. but this time the mechanism. you simply pull the freehub off of the axle. straight out, hard, until it comes off. then you have 2 ratchet rings that interface with each other, the stock ones are 18t and therefore 18 poe. upgrade ones are 36 and 54t ones. dont get 54t ones they sound like a swarm of bees. the 36 are silent.

the bearings in the 350ies are cartridge type and cannot be preloaded unlike shimano and usually can't be serviced, you simply bang the old ones out. and bang new ones in, when worn out.

the dt ratchets want a special type of grease, but i do a 50/50 of motor oil, molykote,
the shimano wants motor oil for the mech. and a flushing after initial wear has been done. to flush out the metal shavings.

you can get any one you want. you just have to understand there is some initial service required for both of them to make them last long. and you have to do it yourself. yes you.

for thje dt you dont need any tools for the shimanos you need a 13/15/17mm "cone spanner" wrenches, basically thin wrenches in 13, 15 and 17mm they can be 2,5mm or thinner to fit.

no matter what, some things are required from you. and by you doing this, is pretty much what separates S from GOOD (and you can try to figure out what S means here).
And then there is always the build of the wheel. and thats why i recommend handbuilt cutom ones. then you knwo at least that part is done correctly! so you dont have to worry about that.

I would probably go the level lower than 105/or old slx (all steel, thin axle, no alu axle) hubs and handbuilt, way, way before even 500-600€ factory wheels. maybe even 1k wheels. probably yes.