View Single Post
Old 12-14-19, 09:55 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I would guess it will be not dissimilar From DI2 and Hydralic brakes. Reading, playing, making mistakes, more use of computer diagnostics, tech seminars, friends

I think ebikes are not going to be a trend like fixies, but slowly become a big part of market and riders

I have a friend who is on his second (first was lower end and did not survive, current was over 7k and seems to be surviving) that he uses for mountain biking. He would not be biking otherwise.
I also am seeing more and more people commuting on them in my area......and as best I can tell these are added bike commuters, not people who switched from a regular bike.

all the good shops in my area are adding ebikes (of course many who have Specialized connections may have not option)
I would guess it would be extremely dissimilar to Di2 and hydro brakes etc. Most ebikes (and mopeds), on the road, are not quality product at middling/high price tier that are engineered and worth the financial investment of repair. They're junker bikes with retrofits (either drop-in wheels or kits) and mods that either themselves failed or caused other things to fail.

Guy walks in with his cheapo $150 Chinese Amazon e-bike 1000W wheel that has sheered spokes from being underbuilt from Day 1, and a burned out hub motor from the user trying to overvolt it to get more moped speed to hit 30MPH on the MUT. What do you tell him, beyond "buy a new wheel"?