Old 05-04-20, 08:57 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
My first Century

I started riding again about 4 years ago at 59. At the time it was just a way to get some exercise outdoors riding my old rigid mtb around town regularly. Other than trying to get in better shape, I've never had any goals in terms of miles, speed, climbing, or anything other than exploring some roads on a bike. When I got to where I was riding 30 miles or so, I decided to try a road bike and the rides naturally got longer and longer.

I've ridden 80+ miles many times but never 100 till yesterday when I decided it was time. Did probably the easiest 100 mile route I could do from home, going over to the coast and riding the pacific coast bike route south till I hit 50 and then turn around and come back the same way. Only 1500 feet of climbing. There were some nasty headwinds coming back up the coast but intermittent and once I turned inland had a good tailwind making the slight incline a breeze. Average speed was a modest 15.65 MPH

Not sure I'll want to do that regularly but who knows. Still no goals other than to keep riding and keep exploring.