View Single Post
Old 05-24-20, 05:11 AM
Jean_TX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hsea17
Hi! Website and picture is only for reference to the wheels. I'm not based in the UK. However the price I can get them for is US 250,- As far as I know this wheels is out of production and that's mostly the reason to the lowered price in addition to lower sales due to Covid -19. However I'm very interested to hear if someone have had exactly this wheels with same rim width so I can make a thoughtful decision as I am from the old school which generally follows the saying that it is not about the bike...…eh or the wheels

Best Regards
hsea17

I have the Shimano RS81 C24 wheels. I got them to replace the stock Mavic CXP22’s on my 2011 Specialized Ruby Elite bike. I have never weighed either set, but manufacturer specs and web forum postings indicate that the RS81’s weigh 1550g and the Mavics weigh about 2200g. My observations/perceptions:

* The RS81’s have exceptionally smooth hubs and the “digital hub adjustment” feature (ie, no tools are needed) is really convenient and it takes minimal time to adjust the hubs.

* The RS81 wheels (16/20 laced, double bladed aero spokes) definitely feel stiffer and more sure-tracking when cornering than the Mavics (28/32 laced, straight 15G spokes).

* My typical riding route has umpteen stops and turns. The RS81’s accelerate from stops more easily. They also seem to be slightly easier to roll going up hills.