Old 06-15-20, 03:32 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Does anyone use a rear rack? My friend just bought a tandem and is feeling ambitious and like she wants to go riding (paved) park bike trails... which will mean transporting the bike as none of these parks are within riding distance (at least for us). That means my car. I have a Civic sedan; no way the bike's going inside. We'd never get it onto a roof rack, nor do I want anything permanently mounted to my car. I'd rather not disassemble the thing at all (it's vintage, no quick-releases, I'm no bike mechanic, it would be extremely tedious). I know that means bike will be well wider than car. I admit to being a bit nervous about that, but what can you do?

A friend of hers told her any car rack would do (this friend uses a hitch-mount rack on an SUV, but her tandem is also lighter in weight; we have had both her bike and my friend's bike on this rack at the same time though)... someone else told us it would be too heavy for any sort of temporary-mount rack (which is an apparatus I have not seen in person for years so I don't know what's out there these days). (I'm not that big about putting a rack on my car at all; have heard a few horror stories about damage to the finish, but not much to be done about that; we'd just have to be careful and I'll cross my fingers.)