Old 02-18-14, 02:53 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
I need all my Brooks tilted up a few degrees at the nose to feel “planted” on the rear, which results in perineal pressure for me with bars level with the saddle. As originally built, I’d say my Selle An-Atomica Titanico X (TruLeather version) was more comfortable from the start than the B-17 was in its early unmodified life, and that’s mostly due to the SAA slotting to relieve that pressure and allow independent left-right flexure. However, after 4 years of use my B-17 was slotted (and reinforced on the underside) by SAA about 6 or 7 years ago, so it is now quite similar to the SAA Titanico X.

The problem I had with the SAA is that its skirts are shaped and rolled over less, and not chamfered on the edge, resulting in inner thigh chafing on one side for me. That’s not a common problem (my right leg runs noticeably more inward, nearly touching the TT and seat stay top while pedaling), but I have seen a few other mentions, so I don’t think it was just my particular saddle. Note the relative widths from the nose back through the middle in this shot of my SAA and Swift. FWIW, all my leather saddles when broken-in show that I also sit “deeper” on the right side, which may exacerbate this chafing.

I’ve been surprised that my SAA has already required about one centimeter of adjustment in less then 500 miles (I’m very careful to adjust in small increments when dry), while the slotted B-17 hasn’t been adjusted yet in over ten times that mileage (could maybe use a half-turn now), but I’ve heard that the SAA stretch “levels out” at some point. (I’ve weighed between 170 and 180 lbs when using all these saddles.)

So now the slotted B-17 has about 6 years of use and is VERY comfortable on my most upright (highest bars) bike, the Rambouillet. The bike that needed the longer rails (Miyata 912) has been relegated to shorter rides, so it now has a Fizik Aliante VS – not as long-ride comfy IMHO as a good leather saddle, but no thigh chafing or pressure either. My favorite daily rider these days is the new-to-me Marinoni with the VO Long Setback seatpost and a nearly new Gilles Berthoud Aravis pushed all the way back. This saddle is not slotted, but doesn’t seem to require much nose-up so no perineal pressure issues, the deep skirts are beautifully and comfortably formed (much like Team Pro skirts), and it is breaking in very nicely. As noted in an earlier post, the GB rails are essentially the same shorter configuration as the Brooks in my experience (Team Pro, B-17, Swift).

Here’s a few (gratuitous) shots of those three bikes and their current saddles.

Note the higher nose on the B-17 in back:

And here’s a shot of my SAA after about 500 miles and ready to sell:

Was that TMI?
You mean like in too much information?