Old 04-25-19, 03:44 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Riders forget that pedaling full circle is unnecessary when you have to make tight turns at low speed. Simply pedal in short rotation of the cranks can avoid heel strike and make the right turn without issues.
Sometimes the thing that keeps you upright in a turn is the application of more power to keep you from toppling over. Heel strike is a small price to pay for being able to pedal as you need to to keep the right amount of speed up all the way through the turn. It's the same with uprights. Front wheel/shoe interference is a real thing on the tandem we commute on. I can't worry about where exactly it is going to happen and try and avoid it, if I need power at a critical point through a turn, then that's what I need, and nothing else will do. We haven't gone down yet due to toe interference even though I've been scared a few times. Our recumbent tandem has no possibility for heel strike which is wonderful because I have saved many a turn with just the right amount of extra power through a turn. My highracer has plenty of heelstrike but I have to work at finding it. When I'm actually looking for it it's never there. When I least expect it, there it is, I just pedal through it. What else are you going to do?