Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Touring/Sport Touring BIke

Originally Posted by AllWeatherJeff
Thread title pretty much says it all.

However, to expand:
I'm doing my first 200k rando/brevet this summer.

I only have flat bar bikes and am in search of a new drop bar bike for the longer distances.

The only bikes I can find in my price ($1,200-1,500) range are touring bikes / comfy-geometried, glorified commuters.

Will these types of bikes fit the bill? Will the weight be significant hindrance once I crossover to the 300k, 400k and longer randos/brevets?

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.
The Salsa Journeyman would be worth a test ride. I've seen one on our group ride, and know it took racks. I think the Sora version is right at your price cap, but, to me, Sora is pretty darn decent. I've got bikes that have Ultegra, but honestly, the Sora shifting isn't that far away in performance. I can't speak personally for the Claris version, though the recent review in ACA's magazine was quite favorable.

Every manufacture has their take on a any road bike. I have a 2017 Specialized Diverge. In Sora, it would be in your price range. It will take racks....to me only a rear, but I think Spec say both front and rear.....

For a stock triple, Kona Sutra would be nice. LBS gave me one to try out on a test ride. I was expecting it to feel "tourey" for lack of a better term, but it seriously rides much more like a "Sport Touring" bike of yesteryear. Comes with a triple, 9-speed cassette 11-34, brooks b-17, fenders and a rear rack already on it. It was a smooth, fun bike on my test ride. If I didn't already have one in that catagory, I'd probably have bought it too, lol, but I already have an All-City Spacehorse...also a sport tour/rando bike....at least that was their marketing when I bought my frame/fork. As a complete bike, above your price range. It was at that limit when I was shopping. I didn't think I had the legs for a double at the time, so I opted for a frame and fork build up by my LBS. They built it with a triple, bar-ends, and better wheels/tires than stock with some other nice touches for the same money. It's really been a great bike. I've ended up using it for gravel, credit card touring, and really just about any kind of ride, except for group rides. It will take a front load, only downside apart from the weight (if you're weight conscious), is the toe overlap in smaller sizes. Otherwise, it's been quite lovely.